Monday, January 14, 2013

Short Ribs...14º

Short ribs, one of my favorite cuts...I know they are full of fat even from our grass fed beef but oh the flavor...I browned them slowly in the dutch oven, with garlic, salt and pepper...Covered them with the lid and into a 200º oven to simmer...Just enough for dinner for two...A couple of hours later delightful smells were coming from the oven and then the phone rang...John needed a little help at his log deck...Aaah the perfect reason for Herb to change into work clothes and get some fresh air and exercise...Temperature was still hovering at about 14º.

Immediately my brain starts thinking how do I stretch the short ribs to feed three, because John is going to be cold, tired and hungry after cutting two cords of wood...My first thought is stew but no we just had that last week or we could have mashed potatoes with meat and gravy over top but since I would rather bake than peel potatoes, baking powder biscuits come to mind...I separated the meat from the fat and bones, skimmed off the grease from the drippings and made the gravy...The biscuits came out of the oven nicely browned, light and fluffy...I ate mine with apricot jam, meat and gravy, green beans and salad on the side...The guys covered theirs with meat and gravy then had biscuits and jam for dessert...Not much in the way of leftovers and everyone was more than full!..Hugs To All...OWAV:)


No comments:

Post a Comment