Monday, January 28, 2013

Work/Reward...18º

Hard work brings rewards...Turkeys boned, bones simmered, broth cooling, dishwasher full of jars, 6am and I must get moving...By tonight we will have; jars of turkey processed and ready for the cellar shelves, turkey broth and maybe even some turkey soup...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

An excerpt from "Siblings"...

I was 7 years old when George started dating Marlene. Marlene's Mother, Myrtle owned a hotel and I spent a day or two visiting there. I was in awe of the hotel (never having been in one) with its staircase to the bedrooms upstairs reserved for guests. I accompanied Marlene to school, where all of her friends exclaimed over me and made me feel special. That night I slept in one of the hotel bedrooms and the next morning Marlene fixed a special breakfast. Plate size pancakes, with a choice of pineapple sherbet or syrup on top. I ate two pancakes topped with sherbet that morning. 
Later when I was about 16 years old, my Uncle Harold introduced me to a new topping for pancakes, peanut butter. Over the years I consumed "gallons" of peanut butter. Mom bought it especially for me in #10 cans, which had to be stirred and stirred to incorporate the oil back into the peanut butter (before hydrogenation). For a period of my life she claimed that peanut butter was my main diet. She gave me the "look" when I spread peanut butter on my pancakes the first time, but since it was her brother’s idea she decided it was okay. To this day it is still a favorite and especially when I have homemade huckleberry preserves on top! 
I've thought several times about having pancakes with pineapple sherbet, but know that they would never taste as good as they did that day long ago when a wide eyed girl of 7 ate one of the best breakfasts of her life.


No comments:

Post a Comment