Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Red Horse Coffee Company...15º

Had lunch at this small cafe in Joseph yesterday...The Red Horse opened early last summer with coffee drinks, smoothies, baked goods and a few breakfast quiches and wraps...It has now expanded to lunches with soup of the day and panini sandwiches...For many years it was a small home on main street situated along a canal...It has housed other businesses, been a rental and now the Red Horse with kind of a Spanish decor...They have ample seating indoors for winter and patio and lawn seating in the summer months...It has become a regular place for "Yuppie" locals and others...What drew our write group there yesterday was "HOMEMADE" from scratch soups and sandwiches, sweet breads and cookies...So many places in this day and age tout homemade, but neglect to say that it is a mix that they reconstitute with water and maybe add a dollop of butter on top of the soup...Our food was tasty yesterday and it did taste homemade, time will tell as we have more lunches there and try different menu items.

Herb called late afternoon when he and John got back to Enterprise with the horses and mules to say they were in and maybe did I have anything in the way of food...I quickly sliced 3 onions and started them sautéing with butter...A pint of chili was heating in a pan...Burger made into patties....Fixed sourdough bread with garlic butter ready for Texas toast...Made an old fashioned salad of cottage cheese, pear half on top over a bed of lettuce, with a dollop of blue cheese dressing...Set the table, and when they walked in the door I toasted the bread in the frying pan, then it went into the oven to stay warm with the onions and plopped the meat patties into the frying pan...All ready in just a few minutes...I fixed the plates at the stove, burgers covered with chili, topped with cheese and toast and grilled onions on the side...John saved his salad for last as he said it was too pretty to eat...I had to laugh as this salad was popular in the 50's and isn't seen much now a days, but Herb and I still eat and enjoy it...Only thing missing was the maraschino cherry on top...You've probably guessed that I like feeding John...He eats anything and everything that I place before him, never says "I don't like" or "what's that?"...Just eats with gusto and grins the entire time and thanks me profusely when he and Tate head home.

Have been asked to fill in at pinochle again today, told Marsha they would have to teach me all over again as my rememberer isn't as good as it used to be...Should be a fun afternoon...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate you feeding John too! That way I know he eats something other than spaghetti every once in a while... :)

    ReplyDelete