Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Busy Day...60º

Our read for this month at book group was "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet"...I had read this book maybe two years ago and enjoyed it but like so many books didn't really remember the details...So I listened while others did the telling, enjoyed hearing about the book from other perspective and when it was my turn, I admitted that Janie's strawberry shortcake was my real reason for being at this gathering...I wasn't disappointed as the shortcake was extraordinarily delicious and the company was first rate.

Back on Barton Heights, Herb and Rusty had been busy with the hedge trimmers again doing the deadheading and clearing away the detritus...Herb had the sprinklers going, giving the parched earth a much needed drink...Rusty had the old light fixture out of the bathroom and was ready to touch up the ceiling paint...A quick trip to Joseph Electric for a new fixture and now the bathroom is lighter and brighter...Still not sure if I need a new light over the sink.

Herb set up my Ice Man and I relaxed in the chair thinking I might just spend the afternoon right there, where it was cool, we had enough leftovers in the fridge for dinner and my tummy was still full of strawberry shortcake...Not to be...Our neighbor Dave arrived with a 5 gallon bucket full of beets from his garden, he grows things in huge quantities...My first thought was, the beets will hold, I'll deal with them tomorrow...My conscience kicked in as I realized tomorrow would be busier than today...Rusty set up the gas stove outside and I sat on the deck and scrubbed the beets and got them ready to cook...It was a pretty slick operation and by 5pm we had them cooked, slipped the skins and sliced...They are now in the fridge waiting to be made into pickled beets either today or tomorrow....Those cellar shelves are filling up!

Now I must get moving, I have a PT appointment this morning followed by Write Group and pot luck lunch...Hugs to all...OWAV:)


No comments:

Post a Comment