Saturday, August 18, 2012

Crazy Day...56º

Shower first thing in the morning got me moving to the out of doors...Herb and I picked the cucumbers and moved water around...It has been several years since we've had this many hot, dry days in a row and the ground is dry and cracked...We water continuously and are thankful that we have ditch water and two pumps to keep everything from totally drying up.

Rusty fired up the hedge trimmer and with help from H & I he started on the flowerbeds, cutting down all the plants that have finished blooming...Leaving only the tall, late bloomers waving in the breeze...Herb and I raked and hauled debris across the road to be used for mulch...By then my leg needed a rest, so I iced and got ready to make a trip to the bank when the phone rang.

My friend and sorority sister Marian died this morning after a week in the hospital... Marion was 89 years "young" the oldest member of our group and had been a member for about 10 years..She was an amazing lady and an inspiration to all and we were very privileged to have her in our midst and to share in her friendship...She was the youngest old person I've ever known!

My thoughts went immediately to Jane, my friend and neighbor of 40 years and I left the house to tell her of Marion's death...To make a long story short, Jane's morning hadn't had a good start and she was not dressed for the day...I suggested she get dressed and we would go for a ride...Soooo we did...We drove to Wallowa Lake ordered "Utterlly Chocolate" single scoop, waffle cone, and while we licked as fast as possible, chocolate ice cream dripped down our chins, we reminisced about Marion and out years of friendship...Marion would have loved our little celebration in her memory!

Back home my gardens had received a crewcut and are now waiting for a good soaking of water all around...Pat, Brian and friend Robin stopped by for a short visit to see the gardens and the new bathroom...Dusty stopped by for his final payment and Joe arrived to take measurements for the shower door...Bedlam reigned...Brian suggested we see how many people this new shower would hold and there was much laughter and  bantering all around...I just wanted to sit down on the deck and visit with everyone...But everyone had things to do so visiting will have to wait.

Last projects of the day, R and H remodeled a shelving unit that fits inside the bathroom vanity so all the "stuff" can be moved from the living room back into the bathroom and some day our house will be straightened up and back to some semblance of order...We had short ribs for dinner and I mixed a batch of sweet roll dough, to rest in the fridge overnight and it is now waiting for me to make cinnamon rolls to sell as a money making project for sorority downtown at the bike rally being held in Joseph this weekend...Deep breath, get dressed and get moving...Hugs to all...OWAV:)

1 comment:

  1. What a whirlwind day. Happy and sad at the same time that I wasn't there to be a part of the chaos. Sorry about Marion.

    ReplyDelete