Saturday, May 18, 2013

Rain Came Down...43º

With sourdough starter bubbling away on the kitchen counter I measured water, flour and salt, dumped it along with a good measure of the starter into my Bosch mixer, set the timer for ten minutes and let it knead...I added more flour as needed until it was quite stiff...Shaped it into a ball, slathered it with bacon grease and left it to raise while I worked outside.

It was cool yesterday morning, looked like rain...Perfect temperatures...I repotted some annuals while Herb set up the little greenhouse on the deck...We have half whiskey barrels on the deck for annuals, so I removed some of last years potting soil, loosened what was left and added new soil...Another couple of weeks I can actually plant them...Until then the new starts will stay in the little green house and maybe fill out a bit...I just have to keep them from freezing...Have more pots to do but will wait for another day.

I alway intend to get way more accomplished than I do, but I find myself wandering aimlessly at times checking on the fruit trees now in full bloom, wondering will we finally after many years get an apple from our little Gala apple tree?..Maybe a few apricots for jam and I do hope for some Santa Rosa plums for jelly...As a wander the smell of lilacs fills the air, I see deadheading to do, weeds to dig and best of all more plants budded ready to bloom.

I took breaks, going back into the house to mix the bread dough down and started a jar of chili to simmer for our dinner...About 2pm the rain started just in time for me to clean up my potting mess and fix our dinner...Herb set the table and I shaped fresh bread dough into rounds for fry bread to eat with our chili...Later in the afternoon we basked in the smell of fresh baked bread and molasses cookies.

We got a nice soaking rain overnight, which we needed...Everything is washed and fresh, maybe a little sun will peak through...Yard saling with Pat this morning...Birthday and Graduation Party for Becky this evening...Another day on Barton Hgts...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment