Friday, September 19, 2014

Preserving 101...54º

Several months ago I received an email from the director of the Magic Garden, also a teacher at Joseph Schools, asking if I was interested in volunteering to join a team to teach classes in preserving food...Looking at the dates and not really sure I wanted to do this, I replied that I had relatives arriving for a visit on the first date and that my plans were unsettled for the second, so thanks for asking but I would pass at this time...A month or so later after reading an article in the local paper about the "Magic Garden" and the community effort to teach children and adults about growing your own food and learning to preserve food and that they were still looking for people to help teach the classes--Should I volunteer?..

My calendar was clear (except for the preserving I do every year, PT appts and my own gardening) so my conscience said, "Do it." Today is the day and I just received the email saying we will be making beet relish, sweet pickle chips and zucchini bread...I have to be there at 11am along with 2 other instructors (both are acquaintances of mine) to prepare for a class of 5 students that starts at 12:30...Should be a snap or a piece of cake, zucchini no less...Tune in tomorrow to hear all about it.

Early yesterday morning we were outside after the wind quit blowing picking the rest of our apples, both off the tree and the ground...Herb went to the log deck and I stayed home to roast half of the 50 lbs. of roma tomatoes and will finish the rest on Saturday...Pat and Brian stopped by for a short visit, bringing leftovers of beef roast, gravy and noodles for our dinner...After getting up at 3:30am, on my feet all day I was happy not to have to cook...Hugs to All...OWAV:)

Tomatoes ready to roast

Some of our apple crop



No comments:

Post a Comment