Saturday, February 18, 2012

Expecting?..29º

New Baby with roots
I thought is was a flower bud and it turned out to be a BABY... Explanation:  About a years ago I finally succumbed to buying an orchid...I've admired them at my sister's house, but didn't want to mess with another house plant...It was in full bloom and cheap at "Grocery Outlet"...We enjoyed it for several weeks before it finished blooming, then I repotted it, moved it to the back and alternated between drowning it and forgetting to water at all... About a month ago I noticed a shoot growing out of the stem, a BLOOM, I thought, but it turned into leaves...I moved it into more sunlight and began talking to it and paying it more attention, surly that would entice a bloom...Another bud started growing, then another and I got really excited, several BLOOMS, I thought, but no they just kept growing...I've grown enough flowers to finally realize that this new growth wasn't going to bloom, so I googled orchids typed in my question, the answer popped up CONGRATULATIONS your orchid has had a baby and this growth is the new ROOTS... I didn't even know it was expecting!...This is exciting but I want a BLOOM..I googled again and found that I need to be fertilizing this plant because it is now eating for two... With extra care this orchid may or may not bloom so now I have two non-bloomin' orchids...and eventually I can remove the new baby and make it into a new plant or I can leave it where it is and either way, some day I might have two BLOOMIN' orchids...I can see now that I should have started growing orchids years ago if I expect to have blooms in my lifetime...Maybe we will just keep having babies and I can share them with my friends.

Looks like another sunny day on Barton Heights, we had about an inch of snow overnight...Herb is starting breakfast and has hinted that pancakes might taste good this morning, Hmmmm that happens to be my job....Hugs to all...  OWAV:)

2 comments: