Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pancakes of Old....25º


Breakfast

While flipping pancakes yesterday, I knew what the subject of my next blog would be...Before the first bite was taken I took a photo and the memories of pancakes zipped through my head as the pancakes floated off the griddle and onto our plates...I remember Mom's pancakes, light and fluffy covered with home made butter and apricot or strawberry preserves... Occasionally if the budget allowed we had Aunt Jemima's Syrup or some days it was a thin boiled syrup quickly made with sugar, water and imitation maple flavoring...My love affair with pancakes began then and is my first choice for breakfast when we eat out.

When I was 7 years old, my brother George started dating Marlene Madden...Marlene's Mother, Myrtle owned a hotel and I spent a day or two visiting there...I was in awe of the hotel (never having been in one) with its staircase to the bedrooms upstairs reserved for guests...I was more in awe of my breakfast...Marlene made plate size pancakes which she served to me, and a choice of pineapple sherbet or syrup on top...I opted for the sherbet not really knowing what it was but soon consumed two pancakes topped with sherbet for the first and last time in my life...Back home when I requested pancakes with sherbet on top, Mom looked at me with her special, "Are you crazy look?" and I didn't ask again.

Later when I was about 16 years old, my Uncle Harold introduced me to a new topping for pancakes, peanut butter...Over the years I had consumed "gallons" of peanut butter... Mom bought it especially for me in #10 cans, which had to be stirred and stirred to incorporate the oil back into the peanut butter (before hydrogenation)...For a period of my life she claimed that peanut butter was my main diet...She gave me the "look" when I spread PB on my pancakes the first time, but since it was her brothers idea she decided it was okay...To this day it is still a favorite and especially when I have homemade huckleberry preserves on top!..

I've thought several times about having pancakes with pineapple sherbet, but know that they would never taste as good as they did that day long ago when a wide eyed girl of 7 ate one of the best breakfasts of her life...Thank you Marlene...Hugs to all....OWAV:)

1 comment:

  1. Peanut butter and real maple syrup is my favoritist topping for pancakes...we had buckwheat pancakes a couple of weeks ago which was another Grandma Madden "Myrtle" special at her restaurant...love them...thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete