Friday, October 5, 2012

Driving...28º

Here is an excerpt from a story I started this morning...Hugs to All...OWAV:)


Starting at about age 10 Daddy taught me to drive the old farm truck while he threw hay off of the truck bed to our hungry bawling cows. The truck was put in “compound” or 1st gear with the clutch engaged, then slowing letting out the clutch and steering, the truck would creep around the pasture while he threw off the hay. Easy, you might think. At the time I was approaching a height of 4'10", my legs barely reached the 3 pedals, gas, brake and clutch. Scooted way up on the edge of the seat almost able to see over the steering wheel I was ready. Daddy now on the truck bed, pitchfork in hand, gave me the signal. I let out the clutch but forgot to give it any gas and killed the engine. I tried again but with my short legs it took a few tries before we were finally off to a jerky start bumping over the ruts and old cow pies, Daddy still keeping his balance, he in control of the pitchfork, I circled the pasture until all the hay was gone. Whew, I promptly pushed in the clutch, turned off the key and scooted over to the passenger side and let him drive us back to the barn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment