Monday, October 29, 2012

Warm Rain...47º

A warm rain fell most of the night as the temperature remained a balmy 47º...I've been up since 4am writing on my essays due to be sent to Katey by October 31st...Also I have my scrabble game and lexulous games caught up...I switch over to games when my mind becomes jumbled and I am frustrated trying to make the words on paper say what I want them to say. Here is another excerpt from my essay "Conversation around the supper table." Hugs to all...OWAV:)

One suppertime stands out in my mind when I was thirteen. My sister Mona, six years older than me had graduated from high school the previous May. She worked along side Daddy during the summer and fall and then not interested in continuing her education she went to work as a maid, cleaning motel rooms in McCall Idaho. Mona with her gregarious nature, sparkling blue eyes and quick wit was popular in high school and never lacked a steady boyfriend. In the summer before her senior year she met Bob while he was working road construction on Highway 95 near our home and at Christmas they announced their engagement and his enlistment in the Navy. No wedding date had been set. Mona would continue living at home and now was employed, earning and saving her money for their life together. The Park Motel where she worked was family owned. In April of 1956 the owner’s son was home on a months leave from the navy. His name was Jerry, and he thought this petite little “maid” was extremely cute and not noticing the diamond on her left hand or maybe he did but didn’t let it stop him, asked if she would go to the movie with him. She immediately said “No, I’m engaged to be married”, thinking that would be the end of it. But the next day and the next he persisted, she kept saying no. She related these stories as well as a description of Jerry to us as we sat around the table at supper one night.

No comments:

Post a Comment