Thursday, October 25, 2012

Homemade Soup and sour dough Bread...32º

Sourdough starter is an interesting product...I started mine about a year ago with potato water, added a few grains of yeast, some bread flour and left it to work on the kitchen counter...And soon it was bubbling away...I did some googling (research)...After a few days it quit working, so I followed directions to feed it...I added maybe 1/2 cup of flour & 1/4 cup of warm water, soon it was bubbling...I continued this over a few days until I had a large amount of bubbling starter ready for my first batch of bread...Sourdough bread is made with starter, bread flour, water and salt...NO yeast or sugar or fat...I've had varying results with my different batches from 2 pound door stops or bricks to lovely two pound loaves of bread that are dense in texture but light when hefted.

Yesterdays bread turned out nice!..We had hard rolls, dense, crusty, fragrant morsels warm from the oven, slathered with real butter, enjoyed with our homemade vegetable/chicken soup...For the soup I started with rich chicken broth, added chopped onion, celery, carrots, squash, kernels of corn from one last ear that was hiding in the crisper, roasted tomatoes from the freezer, tiny pasta shells and after I ladled the soup into bowls I added broccoli pieces that had been heated in the microwave (to keep their green color and crispness) sprinkled finely grated parmesan cheese over the top...That was our dinner...Food for the Gods or Peasants, however you want to look at it!

I hope your eyes didn't glaze over with all this info... If it got your digestive juices flowing and your taste buds dancing then I accomplished what I set out to do!..The starter is back in the fridge waiting for the next baking frenzy...Three loaves of bread are tucked away in the freezer, that will keep Herb happy for awhile and I have today to pack for the "Word Roundup in Pendleton"...Feel free to leave comments or join my blog as a follower or send an email (all options on the blog)...Hugs to All...OWAV:)



1 comment: