Monday, October 1, 2012

Sweet October...43º

I do like October, the transition month before all the days get cold and sometimes dreary...It is the month the tamarack start to turn, their needles going from green to gold, before they fall to cover the forest floor with a new winter carpet...Cold crisp nights and shorter warm sunny days with cool breezes...The perfect time to finish the summer canning and then outside to put gardens to bed for the winter...It has been almost a week since my knee surgery and tomorrow I see the surgeon and find out just how much activity my knee will stand and still heal properly.

Yesterday started off with Herb "bagging" a nice two point buck on the second day of dear season...This guy was covered with a layer of fat and I think it was from all the flowers that were gleaned from our yard durning the past summer...I again have to think of the trade off, as he eats all summer and we eat all winter.

Back home from hunting, the guys got to work around the house, Herb doing laundry and Rusty helping me make the Oregon grape and plum jelly...19 jars were filled and taken to the cellar...Herb and I chatted with Cienna as she had set up an appointment with us to be interviewed about how being Senior Citizens affected us and how we adjusted to these changes.

I spent most of the afternoon sitting on the deck soaking up sun and reading until my conscience niggled at me to make an apple pie...Herb got the apples, I thawed a frozen crust, peeled, cored and sliced the apples for dessert....Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Rustic Apple Pie


No comments:

Post a Comment