Monday, April 22, 2013

"Hi Tech Day"...25º

I've been pretty quiet about a plan that has been formulating in my mind for some months now...Some things I have to think about...Usually...Other times I jump in without thinking and try to sort out all the pieces later...Not always a good idea.

What I'm talking about is cell phones and land lines...We of course have had a basic no frills landline using the same phone number for 40 years...No call waiting and no caller ID...We have portable phones (a set of three that I bought at a yard sale) and several old fashioned "plug in" phones and another portable phone with an answering machine...All in all we have TEN phones residing upstairs, main floor, downstairs and outside...PLUS Herb and I each have a tracphone, used mostly when we travel.

The plan that has been incubating in my mind is to do away with the landline, keep that number for my cell phone, is now coming to fruition...Herb has signed up with "Consumer Cellular" bought his new phone and is learning how to use it and checking out the reception...I have just purchased a reconditioned iPhone and am using it as an iPod to make sure I'm savvy enough to use it as a PHONE before we take the plunge when I sign up with "CC" and claim the long used number from the landline for my own iPhone number...Can we survive with only two phones that we carry everywhere with us?

I've been known to make snide remarks about people and their cell phones...People always checking the phone, texting or talking (loudly) into the phone...Obnoxious ring tones and alerts...Now I'm about to join the ranks...I spent all day yesterday staring at this small devise that can surf the web, do email, text my daughter, play music or videos, take pictures, keep track of my meetings and alert me to make it there on the right day at the correct time...A weather report and a mapping program is at my finger tips...OH MY GOSH.

This morning I have to call my friend "Jim" at eoni (our internet server) to help me with the first problem to arise...Bobi walked me through syncing the iPhone to my laptop and in that process it wiped out my passwords for eoni and won't let me put them back in so email is not working and facetime only comes in on Herbs iPad...I have a feeling that I may be talking to Jim on a regular basis...AND yes, I will be using the faithful landline...Stay tuned...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment