Sunday, September 25, 2011

Celebrate...60º--75º

I arrived home 9pm last night from LaGrande...Sue's 60th birthday was celebrated by family and friends...When I arrived about 2pm, Sue (the birthday girl) instead of kicking back with a margarita in hand was, elbow deep, in the kitchen, busily making the taco filings for the traditional Mexican dinner...The usual fare for all of their family parties... Six girls in my brother, Georges, family and their mother, Marlene from Mexican decent...Marlene taught them all early on how to make authentic mexican food...So not only did we have three kinds of tacos, but tamales and chile rellenoes, as well, all homemade...Some of the food was spicy and some mild... chips and three kinds of salsa with 3 layer bean dip, beer and ice tea for drinks was set out for all to munch on until the real food was ready...And what a spread it was, for sure no one went away hungry....Old friends, newer friends, and family filtered in and out all afternoon, bringing birthday wishes and more food...The party spread throughout the house and onto the back deck under the maple tree...Little kids played in the wading pool and on a dirt pile...Laughter and frivolity echoed throughout the neighborhood...At 7pm I called it a night and left the gala, with a 75 mile drive ahead of me.

I have a special bond with the three oldest girls of this family, as I babysat and played with them from the time they were born until I was married and moved on with my own life...We share many memories of family, good and bad...Get together when we can, although that is not often enough...I always look forward to an invitation to their family gatherings.

Now on with my own world, I still have more tomatoes to roast...Herb was right when he said, "Why are you ordering more tomatoes?"  But I will, with his help get them all done and in the freezer and when we are eating wonderful soups, sauces and casseroles this winter we'll be happy that we have lots of tomatoes!...Hugs to all on this beautiful fall day...OWAV:)

4 comments:

  1. Three kid salsa? I wanna try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work so hard to get it right...Damn Kid salsa might be good thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that would be the three oldest kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that is what I meant...Actually took care of all of you on New Years Eve after Rhonda was born (late Dec, right?) so your Mom and Dad could go out partying...so I've changed quite a few of her diapers also...Maybe I stuck her with two many pins??? You think. LOL Hugs

    ReplyDelete