Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I'm taking a lesson from Bobi and setting up my blog this afternoon, so I can get an earlier start on my morning...Will see how that works for me.

Today Pat, Janie and I were at write group, had a great discussion, ate really good food then home to sit on the deck and unwind, finish up the tomatoes and now I must go upstairs and finish the sorority stuff for an executive meeting tomorrow morning and regular sorority on Thursday night...Let me know if you try roasting tomatoes and if you like them...Please.

Tomatoes from this morning:
Tomatoes washed, cored, sliced in half, placed close together on cookie sheet...Sprinkle with diced garlic, basil, sea salt and olive oil...Roast in a 200° oven for 3 to 4 hours.

Before Roasting
This is how they look when you take them out of the oven...Most of the juice has cooked and concentrated so they have an incredible sweet tomato taste...Let them cool a little, then slide them onto crusty bread, sprinkle with parmesan cheese for bruschetta... MAYBE, you will have some left to put in the freezer!

After Roasting
Slide into ziplock sandwich bags, seal and freeze for winter sauces, add to soups, casseroles, your imagination is your only limit.
Slide into Baggies

Ready for the Freezer


ROASTED TOMATOES
Roasting tomatoes brings out their flavor, and they can then be used to create tasty pasta sauces, bruschetta, added to soups or casseroles.  Use fresh, ripe, flavorful tomatoes for the best results.  
10 to 15 ripe tomatoes
2-4 cloves garlic, onion, chopped, 
1-2 Tbl. chopped basil
Salt & pepper (Optional, I like course salt)
Olive oil (optional)
           Preheat oven to 250-300 degrees. (I do the first ½ hour at 400 deg.)  Core & halve  the tomatoes, and place skin side down on a large baking sheet.  (If tomatoes are really large I slice them into 3 slices).  Sprinkle the tomatoes with garlic, basil and salt.  Drizzle with a little olive oil and place in the oven.  Bake for 3 hours until they have shriveled yet still remain moist.  Cool and use as desired or package in ziplock bags and freeze for winter sauces...~OWAV:)

5 comments:

  1. I usually put mine in the freezer for a couple of hours after roasting, then I can put them in on big freezer bag and take out the amount I need when making pasta or sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also meant to say how much I like the photos. Very nice images with the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this recipe...make many small containers for the freezer and then just take out a container and eat or use in pasta sauce...in fact have some last years in the frig now and will use them in smoked salmon (Kim's) pasta (Diane's homemade whole wheat) for dinner tonight...thanks for sharing this great one...I now have 15 quarts of sauerkraut to can...it is fair weekend here so will have some time off...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sauerkraut is about ready to go to the cellar...Makes my mouth water for sausage, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes this winter!..Hope school is going well, those kids are blessed to have you for a teacher...Hugs, AD

    ReplyDelete