Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Garden Club...44º

I enjoyed having garden club yesterday, because I love having people look at the garden who have some idea of all the work that goes into it...It wasn't the best time for me since I have tomatoes to roast, pickles to make, peaches and pears are ripening in the cellar and my garden has been neglected for over a month now...Many plants needed deadheading and others just plain needed to be cut down so others could "shine"...But oh well, they are gardeners and my friends, so they understand.

I spent the morning at write group, while Herb vacuumed the house, set up chairs on the deck and a myriad of other things to make it look like someone really cared that company was about to descend on us...I arrived back home about noon, with a piece of Janie's fresh strawberry pie which I shared with Herb, putting us both in a more congenial mood to entertain...I then fixed bruchetta to serve along with iced, cucumber-lemon water, set out paper plates and napkins and my signature "crystal" glasses (jelly jars)...Grabbed a large paper bag and swept all the accumulated papers stacked on the counter, into the bag and now the kitchen was tidy enough for guests...WHEW!

Last years forced tulips
I welcomed the friendly faces of my gardening friends to the deck at 2pm, launched into a demonstration of planting bulbs in a pot, to be forced into bloom, in the dreary days of January...Then on this beautiful fall day, we took a brief tour of the vegetable and flower gardens, then back to the shade of the deck for refreshments and visiting...Soon the whirl wind of activity was over...I cleaned up the kitchen and Herb awoke from his nap and took over the straightening of the deck.

We fixed our dinner of pork chops, corn on the cob, fresh sliced cucumbers and tomatoes...I love September for this very reason, it doesn't take long to put a meal on the table...The end of a hectic day on Barton Heights... ~OWAV:)




No comments:

Post a Comment