Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Knee is done...41º

I frittered yesterday morning away, trying to think what would make the next few days easier for Herb and Rusty...I cleaned more stuff out of the fridge so it didn't turn into a science project, cleared some of the things off of the counter tops and took the scrub brush to the toilet...Then I took my cleansing shower with the special antibacterial soap and dressed in clean loose fitting clothes...Filled out the information sheets (No one asked for these or even looked at them), made one last call to the operating room, making sure I was doing everything right...I went over the bank statement and balanced the checkbook...Anything to keep my mind off of the surgery...I've only had one minor procedure done, no broken bones and only one night spent in the hospital except for when our kids were born...So this is mostly new for me.

Herb dropped me off at 11:30am in the turn-around at the Wallowa Memorial Hospital, parked the car and then joined me at registration...Pre-op nurse Leslie soon appeared to take me and my ice-man back to surgery...Remember those infamous hospital gowns, yes the ones that tie in the back leaving your "rear end" exposed to the world...Leslie instructed me to remove clothing and deposit then all in a plastic bag and then pointed to my new attire: "Purple Bair Paw socks" a new and improved lavender colored, paper gown (Yes it will still open in the back) but it is roomy and she points out that it has a special feature where it can be attached to a hose which blows warm air throughout to keep you warm in the operating room...I'm all for this as I've already started to shiver...Leslie takes my vitals and gets a vein on the FIRST try...Phew...Then the best part she brought me a warm blanket, tucked me in the reclining chair as Dr. Burgoyne walks through the curtain, blue eyes sparkling..."Are you ready for this," He asks... "I guess I better be, it is too late to back out now." "Oh no, it is never to late to back out, until we give you the sleepy drops." He marks the left knee, making sure we get the correct one and says he will see me shortly in the O.R...The last thing I remember is warm air blowing all around me in the lavender gown, a mask going on my face and the anesthetist saying breath deeply....That was about 12:30pm and I groggily woke up about 2:30pm in recovery...Then to room six where I came fully awake had something to eat, more pain meds and we were ready to go home about 5pm...Only one mistake the pain meds were taken on a partially empty stomach and I ended up eating crackers and sipping on coke until I finally took an anti nausea pill which put me to sleep about 7:30...Slept soundly until 5:30am...I can put weight on my leg, so had no problem getting into the house with a walker, going to the bathroom by myself and moving about the house...The ice man is humming away, knee feels good after taking advil this morning, had my coffee, don't feel so grumpy....Hugs to All....OWAV:)

Bear Paws

1 comment:

  1. Happy to hear it all went well. I feel cheated--they didn't give me bear paw socks when I had my knee surgeries! Here's to some quick healing :)

    ReplyDelete