Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day....46º

As we celebrated Labor Day I wondered how it started and what it was all about so I googled and this was just one of the sites I found...So you can read this one or choose your own.

Herb and I started off Labor Day with a breakfast of corn fritters or corn cakes as he called them, way back when we were first married...Just one of many things that I've added to my diet over the years...His Mom made corn cakes by adding corn, grated off the cob, to pancake batter and served them with fresh made applesauce and/or maple syrup...Our kids grew up thinking that everyone ate corn cakes and looked forward to having them, mostly in the fall, (fresh corn and apples)...We ate them for breakfast or dinner depending on how desperate I was for something quick and filling to start the day or even on a Sunday afternoon when we arrived home from a boating or camping trip...We've used many toppings over the years but my favorite remains as with other pancakes--peanut butter topped with homemade berry jam/syrup and a side of bacon.


Corn Cakes without the toppings
The 50# of Roma tomatoes were still residing in the back room and now looked like they were ripe enough for me to start the roasting process...I sorted out the ripest ones, washed, cored and arranged on cookie sheets...Added a generous sprinkle of chopped fresh garlic, basil, sea salt and drizzle of olive oil, and popped them into the oven..For the next 7 hours our house smelled like an Italian Restaurant and I couldn't wait for the first batch to finish roasting so I could have a sample...Our neighbor Marsha came knocking at the door to "borrow" some dill weed and said, "What is that wonderful smell?" We then traded ideas of roasting tomatoes and all the other canning stuff we are doing now...The tomatoes were almost done when I got a call that cukes had been picked at the Magic Garden and they were mine...Herb and I made a quick trip to pick them up, then back home we filled a gallon jar for more sweets and a quart jar of more dills...I love this time of year!..Hugs to All...OWAV:)


Tomatoes ready to roast

1 comment: