Saturday, September 1, 2012

Yard Sale Bust...46º

Makes me wonder what drives people to have a yard sale...Are they lonely? Do they think it will make them a few easy bucks? Did they just clean out one closet and the stuff is too good to take to Soroptomists?  They advertise in the paper, make itty bitty signs, find a building, set up tables or erect a canopy in a grain field, in the middle of nowhere and put it all out there!!! Occasionally everything is clean, marked and well displayed but usually it has been drug up from the basement or down from the attic intact with dirt and cobwebs from many years...Sometimes it is just one table, other times the entire neighborhood or town bands together for a community yard sale, garage sale or estate sale or living estate sale, all believing the trite but true saying "One persons junk is another persons treasure".

NOW I also wonder what drives people to go to yard sales?..First there are the "Dealers", they come early or the night before, circling like vultures ready for the first bite...They grab the best deals and make a quick get away...I quit yard saling for several years just because of the "greedy dealers"...Next come the ebay people, dealers as well, they also are early but spend more time digging deep into the boxes looking for buried treasures...Then the ordinary yard salers of which I am one are just looking for the occasional bargain...Over the years I've drug home my share of junk such as bed frames and other "yard art" but I've also come home with my share of bargains such as the oak coffee table, oak ice box and mission oak chair that grace our living room...Also a rare find of a Bosch bread mixer with wheat grinder included for a ridiculously low price and other bargains as well...I was disappointed in the yard sales on Friday, Pat and I spent several hours perusing one after the other, her driving, me in the co-pilot seat...Both of us came home with one small item, had fun in the process but decided afterwards that a better option would have been to visit Arrowhead Chocolates sipping our favorite mocha's.

I started sourdough bread before leaving the house yesterday morning, came home to dough that was not rising, set it out in the sun, think it got a little toooooo warm, so it turned into a soft, sticky dough that I somehow managed to get into the bread pans, partially raised and later on baked...It is not my usual batch of bread but should make good toast (maybe door stops) at least until the sourdough starter gets built up again and I can do another batch...Times a wasting, I must get busy....Hugs to All... OWAV:)

Black Eyed Susans

No comments:

Post a Comment