Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Deer Season...44º--55º

A little rain, cooler temperatures, after an extremely dry August and September...It feels good...Also good for hunting season as yesterday Herb left on his 4-wheeler to cruise the 160 acre field behind our house...Not even five minutes later I heard one shot, opened the back door and listened, quiet prevailed...He must have gotten it, I think to myself.

Nice three point
Deer hunting has always been a part of my life, Daddy hunted during season but also other times if meat was needed on our table...hunting was not much of a sport for him, but another way to provide for his family...My mom really liked to hunt...Herb bagged his first deer at fourteen hunting with his father...Over the years he has hunted with a rifle and a bow, hunted for deer and elk...He thought I should hunt when we got married...I resisted...I loved going along on the "road" hunts, spotting deer from the pickup, I was good at that...Also I did like the meat...Finally in Utah, I signed up for "hunters ed", learned how to load, unload a rifle and  the other safety issues...We bought a gun, Herb shortened the stock, to fit me, I practiced and went on my first hunting season...I wounded a four point buck, Herb and I tracked it and he finished the kill...I still liked the spotting part best and when Bobi and Rusty got old enough my gun was turned over to them... They did hunters ed, I think Bob went once or twice, then Rusty was old enough and has hunted most seasons since then.

Easier than packing it out on his back!


Guess it can't really be called hunting anymore as the deer roam by our house daily, eating from the smorgasbord of plants and flowers in our yard...We feed them, now they are food on our table...Liver and onions for dinner tonight...OWAV:)




2 comments: