Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pickled Again...44º--72º

Yesterday didn't turn out quite like I envisioned...Thought I would have sweet pickles and salsa in the jars...BUT FIRST, as our kids used to say...I needed to go to the store for celery seed for the relish and cilantro and limes for the salsa...While in Enterprise I stopped at Ruth's, (friend who is moving away) to fix the bobbin in her sewing machine, so she can sell it at her yard sale...A simple task but frustrating to people who don't know much about bobbins.

At Safeway, whole chickens were on sale for 79¢ a pound...Bought five of them...Back home Herb had the onions, peppers and zucchini ground up and ready to add salt, and set overnight for the relish...Not enough zucchini for two batches so decided to try a cabbage relish as we have extra cabbage in the garden...Aha now we have two batches of relish to can...Now should I start on the salsa or maybe cut up the chickens...Tomatoes will wait...Two hours later the chickens are cut up packaged and in the freezer and I have the bones etc to make soup stock.

We both needed a break so head for Alder Slope and "Sunrise Iron", where Pat and Brian are hosting their last mule ride and dutch oven cook off for the season...We dine on enchiladas, visit with folks that are there to view the old time machinery as well as Pat and Brian...Take the long scenic route home the full length of Alder Slope.

Decide that the pickling and salsa making will wait for another day and Herb relaxes with his book while I do scrabble and write on my essay.

Now it is Sunday morning and the relish is waiting as well as the sweet pickles and the salsa...Herb just came back from his hunting excursion, out in the back field...No luck, just does and fawns this morning...I must get moving...~OWAV:)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like they won't be burying you anytime soon! Just keep moving! (=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds ADHD to me...and of course I would know as I have the same affliction...:)

    ReplyDelete