Thursday, November 8, 2012

36 Jars & Counting...32º

Our morning started early...Herb had an 8am dental appointment in Enterprise...While he was getting his teeth cleaned I did my early morning grocery shopping at Safeway...Now is the time to buy turkeys on sale...Turkeys for 99 cents a pound ($20.00 per turkey) if you purchase $50.00 worth of groceries on the same day as the turkey...In past years when my Mom was still alive we could buy turkeys at Safeway for 25 cents a pound ($5.00 per turkey)with $10.00 worth of groceries...She taught me to stock up on turkeys, then on a long winter day in January, I would spent a couple of days at her house in Elgin and we would can turkeys...First bone the thawed turkey, put the bones on to boil for broth then chunk the turkey and fill jars to pressure cook...Quality time spent together and I learned a new skill.

So while filling my basket with groceries I kept a running total in my head...I didn't buy any alcoholic beverages to make the total go up faster because they can't be included in the total $50.00...What I hadn't read in the fine print is that dairy products also cannot be included...Luckily I had padded my total and ended up with a total bill of $80.00 including turkey...I have to make a game out of this turkey buying, go early in the morning to shop, stock up on grocery staples to run up the tab and hope to have 3 turkeys in the freezer by Thanksgiving...No turkey on our Thanksgiving table, as we like prime rib or leg of lamb and prefer out turkey in a jar...Crazy??? Yeah but that's just the way our family is...OWAV:)

PS...I started out intending to write about the chili we are canning but I got side tracked so will do that tomorrow including photo's...Remember to tune in.

No comments:

Post a Comment