Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Beefs' in the freezer…43º


I passed on the Write People yesterday, made a trip with Herb to Wallowa where we picked up half of the beef and returned to Joseph…Now our freezers are really full, everything packed in neat and tidy, along with a full cellar we are ready for winter.

Sourdough starter had been fed before we left and now was bubbling away on the counter just begging to be used…I set the mixer in motion with whole wheat flour, bread flour, salt, water and a quart of starter…Set the timer for 10 minutes and turned on the mixer…About half way through I added more flour making a very stiff dough and let the mixer finish the kneading…I dumped the kneaded dough into my large tupperware bowl, added just enough flour to give it a few quick turns then slathered it with bacon grease, snapped down the lid and left it to raise.

Some hours later--Rusty arrived and we busied ourselves in the kitchen…Herb set the table and made sauces while Rusty and I breaded oysters for our dinner…With two frying pans hot on the stove, Rusty started frying oysters and I made a salad…Oh what a feast, good thing I bought 3 jars.

Nine pounds of bread dough has risen until it popped the lid open on the container and is now ready to go into the bread pans…OH how I love working with bread dough…It is soft, stretchy and comes alive in my hands as I shape the loaves, roll the tops in sour cream (helps the browning process) and place them in glass bread pans to raise one more time before they go into the oven....Our girls arrive today...Happy Thanksgiving to All...OWAV:)

Finished loaf




No comments:

Post a Comment