Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Not my favorite job...32º

Yesterday I finished peeling enough apples (not my favorite job) for pies this winter...Peeled, cored and thick sliced, 10+ cups of apples, added 1 cup sugar, 1 heaping TBL cinnamon and 2 TBl. lemon juice, tossed to mix...Placed in a 1 gallon ziplock bag, labeled and smoothed flat to stack...I did this 3 times...Herb carried them downstairs to the freezer where he added them to the 2 already there...Now we can have 1 apple pie a month during the winter...Pies are our favorite dessert so with the mincemeat, pumpkin, and frozen berries I have on hand, lemons from Arizona (in the spring), maybe we will have 2 pies a month!..That is a good way to bring warmth to the cold winter and spring months in Wallowa County.

It is less foggy this morning and still a chance of snow or rain...I have a PT appointment, and more grocery shopping to add another turkey to the freezer...Then home to continue with the little traditions that make up our "Thanksmas" celebration...Homemade chocolate creams are first on the list...I have to cook a few batches of fondant...later I will add flavoring and form the fondant into small balls before dipping them into melted chocolate...Another holiday treat is "Chex Mix"...Over the years I've honed this recipe to our liking, by adding more nuts and butter than the original recipe and way less Worcestershire Sauce, it is a favorite to be eaten only during the holidays...Herb is sorting through the Christmas stuff, looking for just the right size of boxes and colorful wrapping paper as he gets into the wrapping mode!

Our combined Thanksgiving/Christmas is just one week away..."Kids" will be arriving and the "Celebration" begins...Hugs to All...OWAV:)



No comments:

Post a Comment