Friday, November 9, 2012

Chili inside-Chilly outside....25º

The last batch of chili came out of the pressure cooker at 2pm yesterday...A pot of chile simmered on the stove (too much for the jars) for our dinner...Bread dough was already rising in the pans and a small amount of  dough saved out for fry bread to go with our chili...Dusty (bathroom carpenter) called and ask if it was okay for him to stop by and fix cracks in the shower grout...I said sure and Herb and I quickly moved jars of chili making room for him at the table as I was pretty sure the smells would entice him to join us...Dusty is a bachelor most of the time (Wife lives in Boise) so he enjoys a home cooked meal whenever one is offered...Didn't take long for the three of us to slick up bowls of chili topped with cheese, onions and sour cream...The fry bread was eaten with the chili and afterwards we loaded it with jam and had it for dessert...Dusty checked out the cracks in the shower, and said "I'll order calking and be back in a week, about this time?" he said with a grin.

Herb and I took turns cleaning in the kitchen during the afternoon, both of us weary, he after making a "gazillion" (this is really a word) trips up and down the stairs and me standing in and walking from one end of the kitchen to the other, all morning filling jars, stirring chili and making bread...Late afternoon found him reading and me computing and icing my knee...Total count 72 jars, some of them pints and some are 3 cup, wide mouth tapered jars...As I write this morning, Herb is carrying the last jars down to the cellar...Canning is done for this year...Now I have to make another trip to Safeway, shopping for the turkey to be canned in January!

12 quart kettle of chili ready for the jars.

Jars processed and cooling



No comments:

Post a Comment