Monday, November 5, 2012

Frosty days are forecast...44º

A few more balmy days before the temperature takes a nosedive...Forecast is saying by Thursday of this week the days high will be 31º.

Time to get out the "long Johns"...Which brings to mind articles of clothing worn by girls in the 50's...When I started school at Wood Grove near MeCall Idaho in 1951 instead of wearing long underwear like the boys did, girls wore long brown cotton stockings under their jeans and also under dresses that we wore on occasion...Of course these stockings wouldn't stay up by themselves so a "suspender garter belt" was purchased for that purpose...It is hard to describe and I could't find a photo of it to borrow from the internet but it was a harness affair that went over our shoulders, a band to go around our waist, more straps hanging from the waist with slide hooks that connected belt to stockings and supposedly held them up!..All I remember about the belt and stockings was that the stockings bagged around my ankles and the suspender belt twisting and was very uncomfortable...Also I will just mention what a pain it was using the outdoor toilet and trying to sort out the layers of clothing and not freezing in the process or worse yet "peeing" your pants before you could get them down and if you did manage to get your pants down, you had  to sit on a frosted toilet seat!..It only took me one winter of wearing this apparatus before I begged Mom to buy me some boys long johns...By the time I started high school, the long johns were replaced with tights--a much more comfortable option.

Yesterday was warm with lots of sun...Rusty left early for his home in Bend, Herb did laundry and I sorted some books but couldn't get very motivated...I made a beef stew from the leftover beef roast, lots of veggies and dumplings on top...Looking forward to a lap around the track today with Pat, knee seems to be up to it...Hugs to All....OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment